Abortion in the Philippines Vs Abortion in India
Contents of this post:
- All About Abortion in The Philippines
- Is Abortion Legal in India?
- When Can You Get an Abortion in India?
- Abortion For Foreigners in India
- Abortion Methods at American Hospital, Bangalore
- Assistance For Foreigners Who Want to Abort at American Hospital, Bangalore
- Safe abortion at AHB
Giving abortion rights to women has always been a debatable topic. Not all countries have succeeded in empowering women with abortion laws that allow them to take charge of their own bodies and will. In this post, let’s see a comparative study between abortion In the Philippines and abortion in India.
Abortion in the Philippines:
- Illegal under all circumstances
- Recent amendments allow abortion when a woman’s life is at risk due to the pregnancy
- A lot of stigma around abortion
Abortion in India:
- Legal till 20 weeks and up to 24 weeks under emergency
- Recent amendment allows even unmarried women to have an abortion
- Has wide social acceptance of abortion
All About Abortion in The Philippines
Here are a few considerations about abortion in the Philippines:
Is It legal?
Abortion in the Philippines is illegal under all circumstances. There are no exceptions to the rule. Women who seek abortion and medical professionals involved in the procedure can be subjected to up to six years of imprisonment.
As per the law, such medical professionals can lose their licenses. In practice, abortion is allowed for women if it is to save their lives in case of a critical pregnancy. However, there is no law explicitly stating that. Therefore, it can be very difficult for women in the Philippines to terminate even a high-risk pregnancy.
Almost all abortions in the Philippines are carried out secretly, having a huge risk associated with them. Even women who seek pregnancy termination medically have to get the procedure done by unskilled providers and in unsanitary conditions, which ultimately results in abortion complications.
Methods Of Abortion Available in The Philippines
The Prevention and Management of Abortion Complications Program started by the Department of Health allows the following methods for termination of pregnancy in the Philippines.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration
- Dilation and Curettage
Despite the issue of this administrative order on the Prevention and Management of Abortion Complications, proper integration into the healthcare system has failed. Therefore, access to safe and judgement-free abortion for Filipino women is still a dream.
The Consequences of Restrictive Abortion Laws
- Abortion in the Philippines is common despite being punishable by law. Lack of access to medical assistance during abortion forces numerous Filipino women to resort to unsafe abortion. This results in fatal complications.
According to an estimate, nearly 1000 women in the Philippines die every year due to abortion complications, and thousands of women are hospitalized for related conditions. This causes the maternal mortality rate in the country to spike.
- Due to the stigma attached to abortion in the Philippines, most abortions are clandestine in nature. This raises the cost of abortion for Filipino women. Besides, due to a lack of training and sensitization, providers of pregnancy termination services in emergencies are often untrained.
According to a study, many gynecologists prefer the more intrusive and painful curettage method to terminate a pregnancy to the less invasive and safer Manual Vacuum Aspiration recommended by the administrative order.
Some gynecologists also accepted not using pain relievers during surgical procedures. Others agreed to have prescribed the wrong doses of Misoprostol, a drug used for medical termination of pregnancy.
- Healthcare workers are not sympathetic toward women seeking treatment for abortion complications. They threaten those women to report and abuse them verbally and physically.
- Poor, unmarried, and young women are more severely affected. It is because of the lack of access to proper education and effective contraceptive methods. This increases the number of unintended and unwanted pregnancies among those classes of women. As a result, they are forced to carry a pregnancy to term at the cost of their health or economic condition or self-induce abortion resulting in life-threatening conditions.
Complications Of Unsafe Abortion in The Philippines
In the Philippines, it is common for poor and rural women to go for unsafe abortion procedures, endangering their lives. However, due to more awareness, affluent women obtain medically recommended pregnancy terminations that carry lesser risks. The most common methods used for unsafe abortion are:
- ‘Massaging’ or applying heavy pressure on the abdomen for fetal expulsion
- Insertion of a catheter or other object into the uterus to remove the fetus
- Using Misoprostol in improper doses
These lead to fatal complications which include:
- Incomplete abortions
- Severe blood loss
- Perforations in the intestine
- Lacerations in the cervix and vagina
- Septic shock
The unavailability of proper post-abortion care or delayed service further exacerbates the problem and puts the life of a large number of women at risk.
Several non-governmental organizations are working closely with stakeholders in the country They are attempting to influence the government into liberalizing abortion laws to empower women. However, there is still time to see tangible results.
Till that happens, doors in other countries are open for Filipino women to get safe abortions, seamlessly. One such country is India, known for its flexible abortion laws. The following section is intended to make you more acquainted with abortion in India.
Is Abortion Legal in India?
Abortion is legal in India. As per a recent amendment, all women, irrespective of their marital status can get an abortion up to 20 weeks in general and till 24 weeks under an emergency. Filipinos in the Philippines, Filipino ex-pats in India, Filipino women in the Middle east, in Gulf countries, Dubai, Bahrein, Qatar and other women who belong to countries where abortion laws are restrictive can avail of confidential and safe abortion care in India.
When Can You Get an Abortion in India?
You can have an abortion in India if:
- The pregnancy endangers your life
- The contraceptives failed
- The conception was untimely and unintended
- The pregnancy is a result of rape
- Your pregnancy puts your child’s health at risk
- Any other reason due to which the pregnancy affects your physical and mental health
The termination of a pregnancy in less than 20 weeks requires the approval of one doctor, while those between 20-24 weeks require the approval of two doctors. If a pregnancy poses threat to the life of a woman, then a licensed medical practitioner reserves the right to perform an abortion irrespective of the gestation period.
Abortion For Foreigners in India
Indian laws do not discriminate between women from different countries. The reproductive rights of women from across the world remain the same in the country. If you want to get an abortion in India, then do your research and pick a certified MTP center to get a seamless experience.
One of the most suitable options for you is American Hospital, Bangalore. It is a certified MTP center with an expert team of internationally trained doctors and medical assistants. As a foreigner, you do not have to worry about additional laws complicating your path of getting an abortion. The Hospital helps foreigners who want to abort in India, every step of the way. Keep reading to find out more about the comprehensive abortion care that the hospital provides.
Abortion Methods at American Hospital, Bangalore
American Hospital, Bangalore performs abortion through three methods:
Medical abortion is a non-invasive procedure. In this method, termination of pregnancy occurs through oral or vaginal pills. The medications which are prescribed are Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
These abortion pills work towards stopping fetal growth and stimulating fetal expulsion. Doctors recommend medical abortion till six weeks of pregnancy. However, make sure that you take the medicines only as prescribed.
Otherwise, it can result in incomplete abortion and bleeding. Foreigners usually do not prefer this method since it requires them to stay till their abortion is complete. It can take a few days to weeks and is often accompanied by cramps and bleeding.
Gentle Care suction abortion – up to 12 weeks
It is a short and gentle abortion procedure that takes no more than 5 minutes. First, the doctor will check if your eligibility for the procedure based on the length and status of your pregnancy, your medical history and other conditions pertaining to your health.
Then a nurse will guide you to a private examination room where you will lie down. Following that, the nurse will disinfect your cervix to rule out the possibility of future infections.
Then, the doctor will insert a disposable and flexible vacurette into your uterus through your cervix. Using a hand-held aspirator, they will exert suction which will cause the fetus and associated elements to pass down into a collection bottle through the tube.
This empties your uterus and marks the end of the procedure. The doctor will carefully take out the vacurette and let you rest in your private room. Once you feel better, you can discharge. Most patients feel fine within 15 minutes and we hope so will you.
Gentle Care Dilation And Evacuation abortion 12-20 weeks
This is an abortion procedure followed for women who are in their second trimester. Once you are with the doctor, they will inquire about your health and status of pregnancy. Then, they will communicate with you the details of the procedure.
Since the procedure is surgical and involves slight scraping of the uterine lining to remove the pregnancy products, you will be given anesthesia. The nurse will disinfect your cervix region. After that, the doctor will use gentle tools to scrap the fetus and placenta off the uterine lining.
The doctor then uses an aspirator to evacuate the uterus by removing the detached tissues. Following that, an uterovaginal packaging is introduced to lessen bleeding. That also helps in shortening the time you stay at the hospital.
The procedure just takes 20-30 minutes. After the surgery is over, you can rest till you feel better and sign off from the hospital when you are confident enough. To ensure maximum safety, stay in Bangalore for the night. You can fly to your homeland the next day.
Assistance For Foreigners Who Want to Abort at American Hospital, Bangalore
AHB provides special assistance to foreigners. Once you contact the hospital through their helpline number, a coordinator will get in touch with you. They can suggest you convenient ways to plan your travel, and help you schedule your abortion appointment.
After landing in Bangalore, you can book a cab online, head to your reserved hotel, and visit the hospital during the scheduled time.
Since you have pre-booked your slot, you will not have to wait to see your doctor. As soon as you reach the hospital, you will get to have a one-on-one conversation with your doctor. After the necessary inquiry about your medical history and health condition, the doctor will prescribe some tests and ultrasounds. After that, your abortion procedure starts.
What To Expect?
- A safe and comfortable space to meet the doctor, with no crowded area
- Fully legal, confidential, and judgment-free abortion
- World-class, professional treatment
- Nurse dedicated to providing physical and emotional support throughout the process, till recovery
- Transparent abortions- doctors will keep you in the loop about every step they decide to take
Safe abortion at AHB
Unlike Philippines where abortion is highly stigmatized even today, India is a land of freedom. It welcomes all women to exercise their reproductive rights freely. So, put aside your hesitation and book your flight to Bangalore, India to get a safe abortion if it is not an open option in your country. Make sure that you do not cross the 20-week mark as that can complicate the situation and narrow down the available options.
Book your slot for Gentle Care abortions as soon as possible at AHB The slots are limited to ensure dedicated, single-patient care. Empower yourself now and take the decision that you think is best for your body. We are here to help you at any time.
- Abortion in Singapore vs Abortion in India
- Abortion in Malaysia vs Abortion in India
- Where to have a safe & confidential abortion in the Maldives
- How can Filipinas get a safe, legal and confidential abortion?
- Abortion for unmarried in Pune: What you need to know?
Leave a Comment