Considering Abortion in Dubai, Sharjah, UAE? – Your Best Options Abroad
If you are a woman living in the Middle East countries like in any part of the UAE ( Dubai, Ajman, Sharjah, Fujairah, Ras-Al-Khaimah, Abu Dhabi ) or in Oman, Qatar, Kuwait or Bahrain then you probably know how difficult it is for women living in these countries to avail safe and legal abortion services due to restricted abortion laws.
Abortion laws in the UAE
Abortion laws are different in all countries, from highly restricted to highly selective.
In the UAE, as a part of section 340 of the UAE penal code, abortion is legal only in circumstances where:
- There is a risk to a woman’s life.
- There is proven evidence that the child is born will have to live with physical or mental deformities presented as fetal anomalies during prenatal tests.
And this is only available for women who are married and they are required to provide their marriage certificate as proof.
Another problem is the permissible gestation age for abortion. Even in the aforementioned situations, abortion is permissible only up to 17 weeks of gestation, i.e., up to 120 days of pregnancy.
Therefore, women who get pregnant as a result of contraceptive failure have no legal option available for safe abortion in UAE. But they are not alone.
Just like in the UAE, there are several other countries where women do not have full reproductive rights.
Expat, Indian and Filipino women often travel to Bangalore, India to avail a safe and legal abortion in India.
Difficulty in availing abortion for ex-pats in UAE
The population in UAE consists of a large community comprising of expatriates from around the world, including India, South Asia and the Philippines. Many people are living in these countries temporarily for work reasons and the like.
While living in these countries, these people too have to follow the rules and regulations followed therein. Hence, if such women get pregnant out of their marriage or want to get an unwanted pregnancy terminated willfully, they cannot avail a legal and safe abortion.
Many such women either try a Do it Yourself (DIY) abortion method or resort to an unsafe abortion practice. This often puts their health and lives in danger. In such instances, if any complication arises, the probability of which is quite high with unsafe abortions, on availing medical emergency aid, they are treated as guilty and are liable to punishment for availing abortion, which according to their law is a criminal act.
Abortion laws in India; The difference from abortion laws in UAE
India is a country where abortion laws are quite liberal. Indian law believes that every woman has a right to access comprehensive abortion care (CAC) as a part of her reproductive rights.
Hence, Indian law permits legal abortions for a wider window, including for failure of contraceptives (unplanned pregnancy).
The circumstances where abortion in India is legal are:
If the pregnancy is a result of the failure of contraceptives.
If the pregnancy can endanger the woman’s physical and/or mental health or endanger her life.
Fetal anomalies have been detected during pre-natal tests and the child if born will either be short-lived or will have to live with morbidities or physical and/or mental disabilities.
If the pregnancy is an outcome of unwanted sexual intercourse, such as rape.
The difference in the abortion laws of these countries from that of India makes India the most favourite medical tourism and abortion destination for women.
Some of the many differences which make India position as the country where a woman can legally avail a safe abortion are:
- Marital status: Abortion in India is legal for all women alike irrespective of her marital status. With the introduction of the latest amendment in the Indian abortion law, early this year in 2020, any woman can avail abortion whether married or unmarried, divorced or widow in events of contraceptive failure.
But in the UAE, legal abortion can be availed only by married women.
- Consent for abortion: In India, consent for an abortion lies solely and independently in the hands of the woman herself if she is an adult, i.e., above 18 years of age.
Parents or guardians’ consent is sought only in cases where either the woman is a minor, i.e., less than 18 years of age or is mentally challenged or is incapable of giving her consent due to physical and/or mental trauma such as in rape cases.
But in UAE, for abortion to be availed (which is available only in restricted circumstances), marriage certificate has to be provided to the healthcare department to prove that the woman is married. And consent of both the partners is needed for terminating the ongoing pregnancy that can endanger the woman’s life.
- Wider window: The circumstances in which women can avail legal abortion services in India are much wider and in favour of women’s reproductive rights. On the other hand, abortion in UAE is highly restricted.
In UAE, only married women can avail abortion and for that too they have to prove the same. But even married women cannot ask for willful termination of an unwanted pregnancy. They can avail abortion services in UAE only if the ongoing pregnancy is endangering the woman’s life or the fetus is represented with grave anomalies.
- Gestation length: Abortion in UAE can be availed only under the mentioned circumstances for up to 17 weeks of pregnancy. Whereas in India, abortion is legally permissible up to 20 weeks for normal pregnancies. And in events like that of fetal anomalies and certain special circumstances, women can avail a safe abortion for up to 24 weeks of pregnancy.
- Unwanted pregnancy: Unwanted pregnancy can happen to any woman. It is very common in events where contraceptives fail. But, in UAE, there is no such thing as an unwanted pregnancy. Abortion is illegal and is foreseen as a criminal act.
Whereas, in India, any woman can avail abortion services in case of contraceptive failure as a part of her reproductive rights.
Travelling to Bangalore, India for a safe, legal and confidential abortion
The most favourite medical destination women visit as a part of abortion tourism is Bangalore, India.
The legality of abortion in India makes it a perfect choice. And in India, Bangalore is the best pick due to the world-class medical facilities available there at the best abortion centre.
What a woman travelling to another country for abortion seeks is:
- Safe abortion: Since unsafe abortions are associated with many complications and side-effects thereby affecting women’s health, it is very important to have a safe abortion. Safety to both health as well as privacy is the need of every woman.
- Legal abortion: Most women travel to Bangalore for availing a legal abortion since it is illegal in countries like UAE.
- Confidential abortion: Due to societal stigma associated with abortion and for many other personal reasons, women seek private abortions. They want abortion to be safe as well as confidential.
In India, as per the abortion law, it is the responsibility of the certified MTP centre or the abortion hospital in India to protect a woman’s personal details. Hence, they cannot reveal the personal details of any woman and her abortion status to anyone besides herself.
Besides safe, legal and confidential abortion, women seek comfortable and caring medical staff and conducive ambience.
Any woman wanting an abortion for an unintended pregnancy seeks compassionate behaviour without being judged for her choices.
Abortion options in Bangalore for women coming from UAE
If you are one such woman seeking a safe abortion in UAE, you now know that you do not have options for a legal abortion there. The best option is to travel to Bangalore, India.
Depending on your ongoing pregnancy week, your abortion options in Bangalore as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) are:
- The medical method of abortion: This is the abortion pill method of abortion available for terminating very early pregnancies, i.e., between 6 – 8 weeks of pregnancy. As a part of the medical method of abortion, safe abortion pills are administered either orally or vaginally as per the specific case.
The two abortion pills are Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The first medicine, Mifepristone is an anti-progestin medicine that blocks the action of progesterone. The hormone progesterone is secreted in the body when conception takes place. It is essential for the growth of the fetus. Mifepristone blocks this action and hence, the growth of the fetus stops.
The second pill, Misoprostol is administered hours later. It brings contractions in the uterus. The contractions in the uterus lead to the evacuation of gestation products naturally through the vaginal route. It is more or less like a heavy period.
This method is generally 95% – 98% effective. This means that it has the possibility of an incomplete abortion. These incomplete abortions are finally completed utilizing surgical procedures.
One problem for overseas patients is that this may need two appointments with the doctor even though it is an outpatient procedure.
Another problem presented with the medical method of abortion is the discomfort and the abdominal cramps accompanied by mild to moderate to severe pain sometimes even requiring pain management.
Women travelling to Bangalore from UAE often do not choose this method of abortion even if they are early. They seek Gentle Care abortion services, available exclusively at American Hospital Bangalore. This is because this gives them confidence that they are travelling back with a completed abortion without any remaining gestation product.
- Vacuum aspiration method of abortion: This is a type of Gentle care painless abortion procedure which can be availed up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. In this method, the attached fetus is gently sucked by a slender medical tool.
The vacuum created for this gentle suction can either be manual or electrical. In case it is manually created, the procedure is known as Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA). And, it is known as Electric Vacuum Aspiration (EVA) if the vacuum is created through an electric-driven motor.
This procedure at AHB is entirely painless and lasts between 3 – 10 minutes. The procedure is performed under short-acting anaesthesia and the patient can get discharged the same day in an hour or so as she feels comfortable.
This procedure is nearly 100% efficient and hence the most preferred procedure for women with pregnancy term, not more than 12 weeks.
- Dilatation and Evacuation (D & E): This is a surgical abortion procedure. But, do not fear it since it doesn’t involve stitching, suturing and trauma when performed by gentle hands of the experienced medical team at AHB.
This procedure is used to terminate pregnancies which have progressed beyond 12 weeks and are not more than 20 weeks. This involves removing gestation products from the uterine cavity by gently scraping them off from the uterine lining.
At AHB, it is performed under general or local anaesthesia to ensure a comfortable and painless experience. The whole procedure takes about 10 – 15 minutes and not more than 30 minutes.
The patient gets discharged after a couple of hours as the symptoms of anaesthesia wean away and she feels comfortable.
A message for expat and Indian women seeking abortion in UAE:
The news of an unwanted pregnancy is not welcome especially when availing abortion is next to impossible. But, stay calm and relaxed. You still have options for a safe, legal and confidential abortion abroad and within your reach. Do not resort to unsafe abortion by any means. It can endanger your health and life.
Some of the unwanted situations you can put yourself into through an unsafe abortion and how they can be prevented by making a wise decision by visiting the best abortion hospital in India are:
- Incomplete abortion: If you are looking forward to buying abortion pills and self-administer them, then you are risking with an incomplete abortion. As mentioned earlier, abortion pills are not 100% efficient. Efficiency further decreases with increase in the length of pregnancy.
An incomplete abortion is presented by mild to moderate bleeding beyond a week and then, surgical procedure is needed to complete the abortion. And when abortion is illegal, this emergency will be treated as a criminal act. This is the time when you might regret taking abortion pills.
Do not self-administer abortion pills even if you are early.
- Ectopic pregnancy: Not all pregnancies are normal. By abnormal, we mean to state that sometimes fertilized egg does not reach the uterus and gets implanted somewhere in the middle of the path like it may remain in the fallopian tube itself. Such pregnancies are known as ectopic pregnancies.
Such situations are medical emergencies. If the fertilized egg keeps growing there itself, due to lack of space, the tube can rupture. This can even be fatal.
An ectopic pregnancy can only be detected by pelvic examination through a transvaginal scan. In case you self-administer abortion pills with an ectopic pregnancy, abortion will not take place. Abortion pills do not work with ectopic pregnancies.
You may still experience vaginal bleeding leading you to think that abortion has occurred without it being so.
Again this emergency will be treated as a criminal act taking it to be an abortion measure.
This situation can be prevented if you visit AHB where your doctor will do all the necessary tests to ensure the exact length of your ongoing pregnancy and its location. Ectopic pregnancies, when detected early, can be treated medically.
- Trauma: Resorting to an unsafe abortion can put you into a traumatic situation. Injury to internal organs may even affect your fertility.
It can also be prevented if abortion is performed by a well-qualified and experienced gynaecologist for abortion in India.
Visiting American Hospital Bangalore for a safe and confidential abortion
American Hospital Bangalore is the premier abortion destination for foreigner women and Indian ex-pats living in UAE.
What makes AHB the best abortion hospital in India are its best abortion team and world-class medical facilities, like:
- Abortion team: Doctors and nurses at AHB are all highly qualified, experienced and have received US and international standard training. The team as a whole provides the best patient care and efficient abortion services. The hospital is equipped with the latest medical tools and techniques.
- Gentle Care Abortion services: All abortions at AHB are performed by Gentle hands of experienced staff making each abortion experience gentle and painless.
- Efficiency: Women travelling to Bangalore for abortion visit back with confidence that the abortion is complete and they will rapidly recover.
- Single appointment: Gentle care abortion services at AHB are one-day procedures. Patients coming from different countries visit Bangalore by a short flight and travel back the next day via a similar short flight. For night stay, Bangalore has a plethora of options to choose according to personal preferences.
- World-class infrastructure: The ambience at AHB is highly conducive with world-class medical facilities making your stay at AHB entirely comfortable. The clean premises are completely hygienic. Complete care is taken to prevent complications and infections.
- Private consultation: Abortion services can be availed as early as possible on the same date of appointment without any delay. Privacy of each patient is ensured from the first call to the last appointment. There are no crowded waiting rooms. Instead, one to one consultation can be availed. A nurse is assigned to every patient dedicated to her care and compassion needed throughout the consultation and the procedure.
- Professional and non-judgemental behaviour: All the doctors, nurses and other assistant staff at AHB treats all patients alike with a caring and compassionate attitude. No woman is judged for her choices, her pregnancy status and/or abortion decision.
Women coming from countries where abortion is not legal are most concerned about their safety and privacy. AHB ensures them safe, legal and confidential abortion services. Besides, each abortion is painless and gentle and recovery after abortion is complete and healthy.
Call or WhatsApp on our helpline number +91 934 382 6182 and seek private consultation and schedule an appointment with the doctor.
All your queries will be addressed to your satisfaction.
Many foreign women and Indian ex-pats from UAE (Dubai, Sharjah, have availed Gentle Care abortion services at AHB and you too can seek out for the much-needed help. You are not alone.