Post-abortion care for rapid and safe abortion recovery
Have you had an abortion recently or are seeking one? Then this post is likely for you to have complete guidance into post-abortion care and rapid recovery after an abortion procedure.
Abortion experiences are different for all women. However, every woman must recover rapidly and safely post-abortion. And here’s how to take care of your health post-abortion.
Just after the abortion!
Abortion is a medical procedure that impacts the physical, mental as well as emotional well-being of women. Regardless of the method used for abortion, medical or surgical, some care concerns are similar, while there may be other concerns which are specific to the kind of procedure.
Post-abortion struggles depend largely on abortion experiences. While a Gentle Care abortion can lead to a rapid recovery, unsafe abortions at uncertified centres can open the gateway for a troubled physical as well as mental state. For quick recovery after an abortion, you need both physical as well as emotional support.
Having physical support post-abortion:
Do not Worry! It is normal!
Some women tend to feel certain post-abortion symptoms to be unique to them, while it is not. Some symptoms are common with most women and they generally fade with time.
And some of these normal experiences are:
- Not to bleed at all. (With Gentle Care abortion procedures, women tend to experience zero to minimum bleeding.)
- To be bleeding heavily. (Mostly with the Medical method of abortion. Recovering from the medical abortion or abortion pills involves heavy bleeding because all the uterine contents will flow down naturally like your monthly period.)
- Cramping pain in the lower abdomen. (There may be no pain at all. But, there can be mild to moderate cramping pain more or less like during the monthly menstrual flow. Pain is more in women undergoing medical abortion as compared to gentle surgical abortion).
- Tender or swollen breasts and sore nipples. (Well, this is generally due to the pregnancy hormones. While these are the symptoms of early pregnancy, they are likely to subside as your pregnancy hormones, progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin start declining after abortion).
- Fatigue (This can be real or even psychological because you have had a hospital visit and you know you underwent a medical procedure). And then fatigue can be both physical as well as mental. But, it will subside soon after you relax for a day or two.
These symptoms can range from mild to moderate depending upon the abortion procedure and the gestation length at the time of the abortion.
So, if you are suffering from any of these, then keep yourself stress-free. It is normal.
You need to check with your doctor. It is not normal!
While some symptoms are normal post-abortion, there are some others which can ring an alarm to visit the doctor. Some of these are:
- Heavy bleeding after a week. (This can be due to an incomplete abortion which is likely the case with medical abortion at times and also with unsafe abortions. Or it can be due to an ectopic pregnancy which was left untreated in case the location of the fetus was not determined before the abortion.)
- Fever with or without chills (Slight fever can be normal. But, usually, the body temperature rises when it tries to fight infection. While experienced doctors tend to take complete precautions to avoid your exposure to infections during the procedure and also administer you with prophylactic antibiotics, infections and fever can be common with unsafe abortions.)
- Hypersensitivity (It refers to skin rash or struggled breathing or any other form of allergic response of your body to any administered medicine. (With safe abortions, your medical history will be thoroughly checked for before administering any medicine to check for any interaction or allergy. This can be rare in such cases. But, with unsafe abortions, this can be common because in such events no attention is paid to your medical history.)
- Dizziness or fainting (This can be due to a burst ectopic pregnancy or any internal injury during an unsafe surgical abortion.)
- Nausea and vomiting for more than a couple of days. (After the effect of administered anaesthesia and other medicines subside, nausea and vomiting should fade away. But, if they persist, you need to check with the doctor.)
- Diarrhoea for more than a couple of days. (Mild diarrhoea may be common with antibiotic agents, but if the frequency of diarrhoea is high, then you certainly need to visit the doctor.)
- Serious abdominal cramps that are not relieved even with pain management medications.
Healing after abortion (The Dos and the Don’ts):
- Rest: Take enough rest. Relax and rest until you feel pleasant. While most women feel fine the next day after abortion, if you do not feel good, you can rest for more time.
- Exercise: You can participate in mild exercise and yoga just the next day after the procedure. However, it is advisable to avoid high-intensity workout for about a week since they can aggravate the abdominal cramps. Avoid swimming for a week or two. Breathing exercises are highly recommended. They can also help you stay calm and relaxed. If you do not feel like doing exercise, it is okay. Take rest.
- Avoid intercourse: Though you can resume normal sexual activity just a couple of days after the abortion, it is advisable to take a break for a few days like 5-7 days to avoid infection since cervix takes its time to get back to normal. Another reason is if you are not planning a pregnancy, then avoid unprotected intercourse. You have a high probability of getting pregnant this month.
- Do not douche.
- After an abortion, preferably use sanitary pads rather than tampons.
- Pain management: If you are feeling mild cramping pain, it can be relieved by a heating-pad. However, you will likely be prescribed analgesic medicines for pain management and you can take them to ease your pain.
- Prophylactic antibiotics: The probability of catching an infection is high during or after an abortion. Hence, your doctor is likely to prescribe you a safe antibiotic. Remember to share your medical history with the doctor to avoid any allergic responses.
A guide into the post-abortion diet:
Diet plays the most significant role in health. Your health depends on the diet you eat. For recovery after abortion, it is important to supplement certain nutritious foods in your diet that can aid in faster recovery.
Post-abortion nutrition needs are a bit more than your routine diet since your body works harder in the convalescence period.
Moreover, eating good food can elevate one’s mood while also boosting energy levels.
Here are some diet tips for rapid abortion recovery that can help you regain your lost strength:
- Eat foods rich in iron level to make up for the blood loss. Some foods that can be taken to replenish your iron levels are beans, lentils, meat, eggs, dried apricots, figs, leafy greens, spinach and beets.
- Eat food rich in antioxidants such as Vitamin C to reduce the oxidative stress and damage from the free radicals. One of the best things to eat are tomatoes which are a rich source of lycopene that has multidimensional health benefits.
- For rapid post-abortion recovery, you will also need B vitamins and calcium.
- You can take ginger tea to cope up with post-abortion nausea.
- Eat fresh food. Do not eat frozen food.
- Eat in small portions. Eating more can make you feel full and can lead to bloating and discomfort. You can eat frequently but take every meal in a small portion.
- Avoid excessive fatty food.
- Avoid excessive starchy or sugary food.
- Some women tend to feel constipated after abortion. So, check for your dietary fibre intake. Have enough fibre content so that you do not face any difficulty in passing stool.
- Drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated. You can have fresh juices also. They will also benefit from their nutritive values along with the added fibre.
Having emotional support:
Having a companion by your side during and after an abortion has a significant role in determining your mental well-being.
The kind of emotions:
For unwanted pregnancies, an abortion may come as a sigh of relief. On the other hand, it can have a range of strong emotional associations if it has been sought in light of maternal health.
Then there can be emotions regarding recovery, future pregnancies, resuming normal life with regular activities. The fact is that these kinds of emotions surge only when the patient does not have the answers. And the best solution is to provide the right information, guidance and assistance that can help a woman recover after abortion.
Some questions that take on anxious minds post-abortion are:
“Was it the right decision to have an abortion?”
Ans.: Indeed, it is a difficult decision whether or not to terminate a pregnancy. But, yes, if you looked at both ends of having or not having an abortion, abortion must have come as a better option on the comparison. So, there is no point of guilt or looking backwards to the decision. Moreover, after a safe abortion, your future reproductive health is secured.
“Will abortion affect my future pregnancies?”
Ans.: The answer to this particular question depends largely on when and where the abortion was sought. While abortions are likely safe, the probability of complications and side-effects cannot be overlooked.
When it comes to the reproductive health of a woman, it becomes highly important to have Gentle abortion care that has the potential to avoid any complication. Earlier you seek the abortion, the minimum is the exposure to complications.
Unsafe abortions can hamper your reproductive health and future fertility. Whereas, Gentle care abortion is done with so gently that it is an entirely harmless abortion procedure.
What to do?
- Take time. Give time to yourself. Time heals. You need to give time to yourself to pass through the stage of emotions. Just relax. Take deep breaths, stay calm, do not overstrain yourself by any physical or mental pressure.
Spend some time with yourself or have the company of a bestie. Processing difficult emotions need time and hence, you should give them time. During this time, try to do relaxing activities as much as you need to feel better and resume normal activities.
- Relax: Do whatever makes you feel relaxed and happy. It can be a short nap, a long day sleep, watching a favourite movie while lying in the bed, sipping a hot tea or soup sitting in the balcony, a chat with a friend, painting, writing, listening to music or humming your favourite tune or anything that makes you feel happy. You can also work through your feelings by meditation.
- Massage: Massage can be very relaxing. It can help relieve your cramps and also ease your stress. Getting your back, legs, head and feet massaged can make you very relaxed.
- Stay with your loved ones: Women undergo different kinds of emotions after an abortion. For most women, it comes as a sigh of relief. But there can be some women feeling grieved and maybe regretting having opted for an abortion. The best way to deal with it is being in the company of your loved ones. You’ll feel pampered and cared for in their company. A snuggle can help you relax your emotions. These emotions may come as a symptom of hormonal shift which is something similar to post-partum depression.
- Talk to a therapist: In case your emotional symptoms are being difficult to be dealt with, seek help from a professional therapist. At least, speak to someone so that your emotions do not pile up or have you harmed.
How long will it take me to recover after abortion? What is the abortion recovery time?
Probably this question comes to every woman who is either looking forward to having an abortion or who just had it recently.
How long will I feel sick?
When can I get back to my normal lifestyle?
When will I be better?
When will I stop feeling sick?
Indeed every woman’s body is different and her abortion experiences are also different. So, the abortion recovery time is also different for every woman. But, recovery post-abortion is not as complex as it looks. After a safe abortion, you are likely to feel normal just a few minutes after you had the abortion. In most of the cases, you can expect to be discharged within an hour after the procedure.
With the medical method of abortion you can walk comfortably out of the doctor’s chamber soon enough after the administration of the abortion pill, either oral or vaginal. And with the surgical abortion method, you can get discharged within an hour after the procedure or as soon as you feel comfortable.
But recovery depends a lot on how the procedure has been performed. Gentle procedures can make you feel like resuming to normal activities just a day later. Whereas, unsafe abortions come with unknown complications management of which can lead to complicated health situations like that of incomplete abortion, haemorrhage, infections, trauma, etc. Recovering from these complications take much longer, sometimes a few days to as long as a few months.
Another factor that decides how quickly you will get normal after an abortion is how far your pregnancy has progressed past abortion. Abortions availed earlier are amongst the safest and with least risks. Moreover, the choice of the method of abortion is dependent mostly on the gestation age.
Some women prefer Gentle surgical abortions even when they have medical abortion method available as an early option because surgical abortions are 100% efficient. Incomplete abortions are the most common complication with the medical method of abortion, but with surgical abortion, you can get discharged with the relief that you are no longer pregnant.
Surgical abortion recovery is not very different from medical abortion recovery. Though all other nutritional requirements, emotional support tend to remain the same; but, since it is a slightly invasive method, you can take rest for another couple of days.
When will my next normal period begin post-abortion?
Post-abortion after bleeding has completely subsidised, you can expect your next period to arrive after 4 weeks. If you do not get a period until 6 weeks after an abortion, you need to follow-up with the doctor. It can be due to hormonal imbalance or as a result of another pregnancy.
How can having a Gentle Care Abortion procedure at American Hospital Bangalore give you an entirely different (gentle) post-abortion experience?
At American Hospital, Bangalore, you can expect to receive both physical as well as emotional support that you need the most post-abortion. Our team of doctors, nurses and other supporting staff are all trained to be professional while also being empathetic.
Without any speck of doubt, regardless of the abortion method prescribed according to your specific case, each abortion carried out at AHB is a gentle care abortion. A painless procedure carried out with you in the most comfortable position following all guidelines for safe abortion procedure is available only at AHB.
But, what after the abortion?
At AHB, a follow-up is scheduled post-abortion to ensure that you have completely recovered. A guide to your diet to follow in the post-abortion weak, the do’s and the don’ts will be provided as per personalised cases.
Besides personalised and best international standard healthcare, you will also have non-judgemental, private and confidential abortion.
Abortion experiences for many women have been mentally traumatizing due to the mistreatment they receive from the medical staff for reasons like getting pregnant while being unmarried or alike reasons. This ill-treatment can have a great impact on post-abortion recovery. Physical health can heal easily and quickly, but the remarks, harsh comments and ill-treatment can take a deep seat in the form of unwanted memories. Getting past through them may seem difficult for some women.
Therefore, you must make a wise choice of the MTP centre for your abortion. Availing safe abortions can provide immense mental support by compassionate behaviour of the medical staff involved in the procedure.
Traveling to Bangalore for availing a safe and confidential abortion in India at AHB’s abortion clinic in Bangalore will give you the best abortion experience by helping you recover both physically as well as emotionally. Our team of doctors even schedule a follow-up post-abortion after 6-7 days to ensure that you have healed.