Crossing Borders for Choice: Safe Abortion for UAE Women
Navigating the complexities of unwanted pregnancy in the UAE can feel overwhelming. Additionally, strict abortion laws and limited access to safe options leave many women seeking solutions beyond their borders. India, with its more liberal abortion laws and established medical infrastructure, emerges as a viable and accessible alternative.
This guide unpacks the differences between abortion in the UAE and India, empowering women with knowledge and understanding for informed decision-making.
Contents of This Post:
- Contrasting Landscapes: Abortion in the UAE vs Abortion in India
- Choosing the right abortion hospital in India before you travel
- Crossing the Bridge: UAE to India for an abortion
Contrasting Landscapes: Abortion in the UAE vs Abortion in India
Abortion in the UAE:
Firstly, abortion here is generally illegal, except in rare cases involving risk to the mother’s life or health or fetal abnormalities.
Secondly, punishments for illegal abortions range from imprisonment to hefty fines to deportation for expats and a lot more. Also, the damage can be more pronounced than just the legal repercussions. In addition, some emotional, psychological, personal and professional losses may be beyond repair.
Thirdly, women in the UAE usually have very limited access to information and healthcare options. So, they often rely on illegal abortion pill suppliers whenever an unwanted pregnancy surprises them. Most of them know that abortion in the UAE is illegal and hence they are ready to go to any measure to get rid of unwanted pregnancies secretly. However, although unintentional, they not only put themselves at risk of legal consequences but also get entangled in multiple health risks.
Abortion in India:
Abortion in India is legal under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act (MTP Act) up to 24 weeks of pregnancy with specific provisions. These provisions are very liberal for the first 20 weeks, with some specifications introduced for late-stage abortions. But up to 20 weeks, you can easily avail a safe and legal abortion in India at a certified abortion hospital for contraceptive failure.
Additionally, you can also obtain a legal abortion in India regardless of your marital status which is not available in the UAE. Although married, one has to prove it by submitting the marriage certificate in the hospital file. Furthermore, unlike the UAE where abortion in permissible circumstances is available on the husband’s consent, you can get an abortion in India with your consent only.
Furthermore, an important thing is that since abortion in India is legal for a bigger window, there is a wider range of safe and approved abortion methods available. Whereas, in the UAE, even for permissible fetal anomalies, abortion is not permissible beyond 17 weeks or 120 days into gestation.
Even in India there are many abortion clinics but all of them do not offer similar abortion methods. So, you need to filter the best abortion hospital for your abortion. Also, you may want to pick the one as per your priorities and comfort.
Finding Your Safe Haven: Choosing the Best Abortion Clinic in India Before You Travel
Travelling to India for an abortion requires meticulous planning, and choosing the right clinic is of paramount importance. The good news? India boasts a vast network of reputable facilities ready to provide safe and confidential care. So, to navigate this vast landscape, follow these steps:
1. Online research is your friend:
- Review websites and listings: Start by researching prominent medical tourism companies and established Indian hospitals with dedicated abortion care units. Additionally, look for websites catering to international patients, often featuring English interfaces and detailed information.
- Read patient testimonials: Dig into online reviews and forums to gauge the real-life experiences of other women who have travelled to India for similar procedures. Look for comments on professionalism, care quality, language accessibility, and overall satisfaction.
- Focus on accreditations: Ensure the clinic holds relevant certifications like NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers) or JCI (Joint Commission International). These accreditations denote adherence to international quality and safety standards.
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO OUR
FREE COMPREHENSIVE ABORTION CHECKLIST
WITH THE IMPORTANT STEPS YOU CANNOT MISS
Enter your email below to instantly receive the step-by-step guide by expert gynecologist, to help you through the abortion process. Plus, gain essential information, up to date tips & resources to empower yourself with critically important knowledge that you absolutely must know, before you get an abortion
2. Prioritize your needs:
- Location: Firstly, consider travel convenience. So, choose a clinic in a city with easy access from your arrival airport and comfortable accommodation options. If you choose to travel to Bangalore for Gentle Care abortion at American Hospital Bangalore (AHB), the hospital coordinator can guide you throughout your stay from the moment you step in at the Bangalore airport. Additionally, the care provided by the hospital lasts until your post-abortion recovery. Check out their abortion services for UAE patients at: Struggling with an unwanted pregnancy in the UAE?
- Cost transparency: Secondly, compare procedure fees, medication costs, and any additional expenses like room charges and consultations. Better choose a clinic that offers clear breakdowns and upfront estimates.
- Doctor qualifications: Thirdly, research the medical team’s expertise and the doctor’s qualifications. The attending doctor’s experience can mean a lot in terms of safety measures and hand expertise. So, it may be better to look for doctors with specialization in abortion care rather than a general physician attending to diverse procedures. This can directly influence the doctor’s experience and your comfort. Besides the team attending to only abortion patients may be more sensitive and inclined towards patient care for such sensitive procedures. Here, safety, sensitivity and confidentiality go hand in hand.
- Multilingual staff: Better look for a doctor or a hospital that can provide you with clear procedural information so that it is easy to communicate and understand. Moreover, it is very important that you completely understand what to expect to avoid any miscommunication. Seamless communication is the key to informed consent and patient comfort.
- Communication channels: At last but not the least, ensure the clinic has readily available communication channels like email, phone, or online chat for pre-travel inquiries and post-procedural support.
3. Checklist for filtering clinics:
- Availability of desired abortion methods: Does the clinic offer the specific method you prefer (surgical, medical, etc.)?
- Confidentiality guarantee: Does the clinic prioritize patient privacy and adhere to strict confidentiality protocols?
- Pre- and post-operative care: Does the clinic offer pre-travel consultations, accommodation assistance, and follow-up appointments if needed?
- Language support: Does the clinic have staff fluent in English or your preferred language to facilitate smooth communication?
- Emergency protocols: Check the clinic’s emergency response plan and availability of essential healthcare facilities in case of unforeseen complications.
Remember: Planning is key. So, start your research early, prioritize your needs, and choose a clinic that ticks all the boxes.
Additional Priorities for UAE Women:
- Cultural sensitivity: Choose a clinic familiar with catering to international patients, especially those from the UAE, to ensure cultural understanding and a comfortable environment.
- Dietary restrictions: If you have specific dietary needs due to religious or personal preferences, inquire about the clinic’s ability to accommodate them.
- Legal considerations: Familiarize yourself with Indian abortion laws and visa requirements to ensure a smooth and worry-free travel experience.
By doing your research and planning thoroughly, you can find the perfect clinic in India that prioritizes your health, safety, and well-being throughout your journey. Empower yourself with knowledge and navigate your path to safe and confidential abortion care with confidence.
Crossing the Bridge: UAE to India for an abortion:
- Travel Ease: Direct flights connect major cities in the UAE and India, making travel relatively convenient. Check out flights from the UAE to Bangalore.
- Visa Options: Tourist visas are readily available for short stays in India within a few minutes. NRIs and OCI cardholders do not even need any additional formalities.
- Medical Tourism Infrastructure: India boasts a developed medical tourism industry with dedicated facilities catering to international patients.
- Confidentiality: Indian healthcare providers adhere to strict patient confidentiality regulations.
- Pre-travel Planning: Secure necessary travel documents, research healthcare facilities with good reputations, and arrange for accommodation if needed.
- Financial considerations: Estimate expenses for travel, medical procedures, accommodation and post-operative care. Besides, it may be better to look for short single-appointment abortion procedures to make your trip as short as possible.
Some tips on making your abortion in India trip as efficient and financially feasible as possible are:
Saving on Expenses:
- Consider travel options: Explore budget airlines, flight deals, and potentially staying in less expensive locations within the city.
- Pre-book accommodation: Look for affordable hotels or vacation rentals near the clinic to avoid last-minute price hikes.
- Plan your meals: Prepare some snacks and meals in advance to minimize eating-out expenses. Research restaurants around the clinic for budget-friendly options.
- Look for clinics offering same-day consultations and procedures. This can significantly reduce your travel time and potential leave requirements.
- Schedule appointments effectively. Plan your flight and accommodation arrival to coincide with your clinic appointments to minimize waiting periods.
- Check the clinic’s website or contact them directly to inquire about average wait times and procedures.
Prioritize Rest and Recovery:
Remember, even a short trip for an abortion requires physical and emotional recovery. Don’t plan to jump back into work immediately. Consider using your remaining sick leave or taking additional time off to prioritize your well-being.
Seek support from a friend, family member, or therapist. Dealing with the emotional aspects of pregnancy termination is crucial, and having a support system can make a significant difference.
Ultimately, the decision of how to handle this situation is yours. Please prioritize your health and well-being throughout the process. Consider seeking professional guidance from a doctor or counsellor to discuss your specific circumstances and make informed decisions about travel, expenses, and leave requirements.
It’s important to remember that terminating a pregnancy is a deeply personal and often challenging experience. Be kind to yourself, prioritize your well-being, and know that support is available to you.
Remember: Crossing borders for abortion requires careful planning and preparation. Choose trusted sources of information, prioritize confidentiality, and prioritize your well-being throughout the process.
- Unwanted Pregnancy in the UAE? Do This Immediately
- Where to have a Legal Abortion in Dubai, the UAE?
- What is the Cost of Having an Abortion in the UAE?
- MAKAKUHA NG MADALING ABORSYON PARA SA MGA PILIPINA SA UAE: PAGSUGPO SA MGA SULIRANIN SA PAMPINANSYAL AT LOGISTIKA
- Accessible Abortion for Filipinas in UAE: Overcoming Financial and Logistical Hurdles