How can Filipinas get a safe, legal and confidential abortion?
Each country has its rule book, unique sets of laws governing its citizens even in similar matters. Rules may differ but women face some common issues in most parts of the world.
However, what brings difference is how these issues are addressed in different countries.
One of the biggest and the most challenging situation in any woman’s life is a choice and freedom she has to exercise her reproductive rights.
Unintended and unwanted pregnancies are very common due to unmet contraception needs and inadequate knowledge about the same in many Asian nations, one of them being The Philippines.
The Philippines is a small island country, but its native people, Filipinas live in various countries like the UAE, Dubai and more, as Filipino ex-pats.
Sadly, abortion laws in The Philippines are not very progressive and abortion there is treated as an offensive act. After many incidences of unsafe abortions and their complications leading to a high rate of maternal mortality, abortion was made legal but only in circumstances to save a woman’s life, which even today in most cases go unnoticed and unattended.
Abortion in the Philippines: Why Filipino women resort to unsafe abortions?
Several reasons go into making a Filipino woman think and the go-ahead for an unsafe method of abortion. Some of these are briefly discussed below:
- Abortion law in the Philippines: Abortion in the Philippines is illegal and a woman undergoing abortion is imprisoned for the same along with the ones who helped her in the act. This is done as per the Articles 256, 258 and 259 of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines.
The Philippines falls in the Category-II of World abortion laws where abortion is legal only when performed to save the woman’s life. However, the Supreme court there is yet to adjudicate even this justifying consequence.
- Abortion and the stigma: Filipino females who get pregnant out of marriages or with someone they are not supposed to have to face societal stigma. This is almost the same for many women (including unmarried girls, widows) worldwide, but the situation is worse for Filipinos since abortion is considered a shameful act as per the law there. Besides, when an abortion is conducted to conceal a woman’s dishonour, she along with her parents and the ones who helped get imposed to prison for a higher term as per Article 258.
Though most women never choose to get pregnant under these circumstances, they may be the victims but they are penalized as criminals.
- Inadequate knowledge and sources of contraception: It is righteously said that education is the Best Equipment. Many people in the Philippines have limited access to contraceptives and their resources. This is one biggest reason why women get pregnant even when they don’t want to. And then with no valid option for abortion, they tend to seek unsafe abortions.
- Fear: Fear is common in all women suffering a similar fate. Fear from imprisonment, fear from society, fear from the community, fear from consequences all keep a woman tangled. And she thinks an unsafe abortion is the best rescue from her position.
Due to these reasons and others, women often resort to unsafe methods of abortion without realizing its consequences. While trying to get rid of unwanted pregnancy through unsafe methods, they often fall in for the complications, some of them with irreversible damages.
But this is not how it should end and just like any other woman, Filipinas too have better options. And that’s what we have come up with here to educate Filipinas or Filipino ex-pats living in other countries where again, access to safe abortion is either impossible or too difficult to obtain.
Abortion for Filipino expats in Dubai is impossible since it is illegal and also criminal to obtain an abortion there. Similarly, abortion laws in UAE are also alike and abortion for Filipino expats in UAE is a punishable act.
I am a Filipino carrying an unintended pregnancy. Is unsafe abortion my only option?
No, unsafe abortion is never an option. Just as mentioned above, unsafe abortion is a method adopted either due to the unavailability of a proper legal status of abortion or due to fears associated with grave consequences.
This is a message for all women seeking abortion and before we head further, let’s have some deep questions answered.
Do you want to proceed with this pregnancy?
If not, abortion can be a safe, legal and confidential option. There can be many reasons like a contraceptive failure, pregnancy being a result of incest or rape or even marital rape. You may not be willing to bear a child due to socio-economic conditions. Or your family must be complete and you may not be wanting another child. And more and more…
It is sad to know that abortion for Filipinas is humiliating in their own country. Further disheartening is that abortion for Filipinos is regarded as a crime and punishment is bestowed on them who try to obtain an abortion.
If you too are seeking your best option, abortion in your native country is not the one that can be obtained. Even if you are a Filipino ex-pat living in countries like Dubai, Sharjah, UAE or some other middle-East countries, again you do not have an abortion as an open option there. Then what?
The best option is to travel to a country with liberal abortion laws, not only for its citizens but also for foreigners. Yes, heard of medical tourism? A legal, safe and confidential abortion can just be availed through this facility available worldwide. But you cannot travel anywhere blindly. After all, it’s your life, you have choices, you have preferences and you have your limitations.
It’s best to do credible research before making any choice.
Travelling to Bangalore, India by Filipinos and Filipino ex-pats for safe abortions:
Being the closest neighbouring nation with the most liberal abortion laws equipped with world-class facilities, latest technologies and equipment makes Bangalore, India the choicest medical destination.
Abortion laws: In India, women have many rules that empower them and one such law is abortion law. Though abortion laws were never the same, over the years, realizing the need for gender equality and empowering women to make their choices, the system got liberal and here abortion is your option if for multiple reasons, such as:
- In events of contraceptive failure.
- To save the woman’s life.
- If it is a result of rape/incest.
- It the pregnant woman is mentally challenged.
- If the prenatal scan revealed anomalies.
Safe abortions: Furthermore, unsafe abortions had been the major cause of maternal mortalities and co-morbidities. Addressing this major concern, abortion in India is governed by guidelines from the World Health Organization (WHO).
This helped India to get furnished with the best abortion practices where abortion can be done only by registered medical practitioners for the same and also only at the registered Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) centres. Specified laws are governing abortions with insight that each abortion is a safe abortion.
As per the guidelines and recommendations of the WHO, there are three approved methods of terminating an ongoing pregnancy safely. These are described below along with their concerns and fears:
- The medical method of abortion: Do you know, how far are you in your pregnancy? What is your LMP, i.e., when was it the last time that you had a menstrual period? The first day of your last menstrual period is known as LMP from which the gestation age is calculated.
The relevance of gestation age in abortion is that it is the main deciding factor for the preferred method of abortion.
The medical method is prescribed only for early pregnancies, i.e., up to 6-8 weeks where the embryo size is small enough to be able to expel completely from the uterus. However, this method is only 95% – 98% effective since there can be chances of incomplete abortion, meaning products of gestation remaining stuck in the uterine cavity.
Medical means through medicine. It means that medicines are used to terminate the unintended pregnancy. The medicines approved for MTP are Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
These are the two abortion drugs but work only if the pregnancy is intrauterine. Yes, that’s a big concern and many complications of unsafe abortions are due to self-administration of abortion pills, without ruling out the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy.
To understand the difference and the importance of a prenatal scan before opting for any method of abortion, here is a briefing.
When a woman’s ovary releases an egg (which happens once per menstrual cycle), it can get fertilized until it stays there (nearly 24 hours). This egg after being released awaits to be fertilized in the fallopian tube that connects it to the uterus.
If the egg gets fertilized and successfully travels down to the uterus, it may attach itself to the uterine lining, known as implantation and the pregnancy starts progressing. This is the case with a normal intrauterine pregnancy. But what if it does not make its ways down to the uterus?
Now there are certain events where the fertilized egg remains in the fallopian tube and starts growing there. It is a case of an ectopic pregnancy or the tubal pregnancy. There are other rare events of an egg getting fertilized somewhere else forming other forms of ectopic pregnancy, but tubal pregnancy is the commonest form. Now the fallopian tube is very narrow and it cannot sustain the growing embryo.
Normal urine or blood pregnancy test will reveal that you are pregnant. However, it does not tell us that it is intrauterine or a case of an ectopic pregnancy. Intrauterine pregnancy is normal and safe abortion pills will work on them. But it won’t work in the case of an ectopic one.
If abortion pills are taken up by a patient with an ectopic pregnancy, the abortion will not take place. We will come to why won’t it work. Keep reading further. But before that, let us learn the consequences.
The embryo will keep growing and the tube being narrow will burst and lead to internal bleeding or haemorrhage needing immediate medical attention. The condition if left unattended or gets delayed can even be fatal.
Even with immediate medical attention, through laparoscopic surgery, that part of the tube and the ovary have to be removed leading to lost partial fertility. Whereas, if it was diagnosed through an ultrasound or a transvaginal scan in the earlier stage just when a UPT gave a positive pregnancy test, the condition could have been prevented. This is because, in the early stage, even ectopic pregnancies can be treated medically, i.e., through medicines.
This makes it clear, why you should opt for MTP only if it is the prescribed method for your case-specific.
Coming to why intrauterine abortion pills won’t work on ectopic pregnancy. The pill Mifepristone is an anti-progestin that blocks the secretion of progesterone.
Progesterone is required to sustain any pregnancy. When its secretion is stopped, the growing embryo also stops further growth.
The second pill, Misoprostol has uterine contracting properties. It contracts the uterus to expel the gestation products with the embryo normally through the vaginal route just like a regular menstrual period.
Now, in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, the embryo is not in the uterus and uterine contractions will not expel it. And that’s why abortion pills won’t work leading to a complicated case.
- Vacuum aspiration method (V&A): This is a gentle method where the embryo is sucked from the uterine cavity. It is a gentle procedure lasting not more than 10 minutes. The suction can be created either manually or using an electric pump. When it is done manually, the procedure is known as Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) and as Electric Vacuum Aspiration (EVA) if done through the electric driven motor.
This method can be prescribed for pregnancies that have not headed beyond 12 weeks as the size of the embryo is in the range to be gently sucked out completely to make the abortion complete. Beyond this period, using this method may leave traces of gestation which is commonly referred to as an incomplete abortion.
Foreign patients for abortion in India typically prefer this method of abortion since it is nearly 100% efficient. Even when they have the abortion option through medical method open, yet they prefer this safe and secure method that gives them the confidence of returning to their country with a completed abortion.
- Dilatation and evacuation method (D & E): This method of abortion is slightly invasive and hence is the surgical abortion method. It is prescribed for patients where pregnancy has headed 12 weeks but is still less than 20 weeks in general circumstances and 24 weeks in special circumstances.
In this method, the fetus, products of gestation and uterine lining are gently scraped off using sterilized tools. This procedure is also small but may last up to half an hour (30 minutes). It is also a safe and efficient method that gives the confidence of a complete abortion. This method may also be prescribed to complete the abortions which left incomplete either through medical method or through vacuum aspiration.
Why Bangalore, India?
Bangalore is the capital city of the third-largest state of India, Karnataka. Due to many signs of progress, industrialization, development, great connectivity, Bangalore as a city is very much developed.
Where there is development, people are educated and aware. Both awareness and education help make Bangalore one of the best medical destinations not only for Indian citizens but even for foreigners.
Development along with it brought more advancements both in technology and techniques besides getting the best-learned physicians and other healthcare providers.
Why American Hospital Bangalore, India for abortion?
American Hospital Bangalore (AHB) is located in the heart of the city. Here’s what makes it the best hospital for safe, legal and confidential abortion:
- AHB is a certified abortion clinic in India and fits all criteria for safe abortions.
- It is furnished with world-class facilities and equipped with the best pieces of medical equipment.
- The doctors at AHB are highly qualified and experienced healthcare providers. The extensive experience of decades makes them the preferred choice.
- Nurses and other paramedical staff of AHB also have wide experience and international level training.
- With every latest technique and technology, the abortion centre keeps all its staff abreast with them. Each member is trained for his/her job so that each abortion at AHB is a safe abortion and every patient gets the best satisfaction.
- All the procedures at AHB are safe and efficient and you can return to your nation with the confidence of a completed abortion.
- The centre is highly hygienic. All rooms, OPD, operation room, waiting area, pharmacy, etc. are properly sanitized to minimize any chances of infection.
- All equipment is properly sterilized as recommended by the WHO before and after each abortion to ensure patient’s safety.
- Travelling to AHB, Bangalore, India is extremely easy via a short flight. There are plenty of international flights from the UAE, Dubai, Philippines and other neighbouring nations.
- There is no waiting period since most patients schedule an appointment over the telephone or WhatsApp before showing up. You will be given a private room which is also comfortably furnished with all high-quality furniture and other pieces to make you relaxed and your hospital stays comfortable.
- The patient is given a private one-to-one consultation and during abortion also, a nurse will remain by your side to cater to all your needs.
- You will get discharged within an hour or so after the abortion as soon as you feel comfortable. You can either plan to return the same day but is advised to take a day’s rest. Options for a night stay are many in the vicinity of AHB from where any taxi or cab can take you to the airport which is also not far off from the centre.
- Medicines and diet are prescribed to help the patient heal rapidly. You can even call or email your doctor after you have returned to your country for his/her guidance in your case-specific.
- Your abortion status will be kept completely confidential. No one can tell you that you have had an abortion in the past unless you decide to reveal it yourself. All information related to any medical treatment is completely confidential.
- You can expect a completely safe and secure ambience within the AHB premises and you will receive highly professional treatment with compassion. No one will judge you, no one will look at you with any stigma or treat you in a non-reputable manner.
- Your abortion experience will be entirely painless, gentle, complete besides being safe, legal and confidential.
This may be your first time, but many women like you have successfully obtained Gentle Care abortion at American Hospital Bangalore for years. AHB believes that every woman has a right to access comprehensive abortion care for her safety and also for the ones who care.
For any questions, feel free to comment below or you can also consult a healthcare professional by calling on our helpline number via WhatsApp at +91 934 382 6182 or +91 900 849 2277.
All your issues will be safely addressed and you can also schedule an appointment.
- Everything you need to know about abortion in Bangalore
- What are you options for abortion outside the UAE?
- Safe recovery after abortion procedure
- Abortion in India for foreigners
- Unwanted pregnancy abortion options
- Abortion pills in Bangalore
- Surgical abortion in Bangalore